Tingling Extremities and Our Hormonal Changes
Static electric shocks, tingling extremities, and pins and needles may all be experienced and affect feet, legs, arms and hands. Not what you want really but this is just another one of those unusual symptoms of PeriMenopause and Menopause.
Many women, as they enter their 40s, are more prone to experiencing this tingling sensation and it can last from a few seconds to as long as several minutes.
Tingling extremities can really interrupt our normal quality of life, with 51% of women having reported that they take time away from their business or career due to PeriMenopausal and Menopausal symptoms.
MY TINGLING EXTREMITIES STORY
How do you explain why you keep getting up and walking around in a Board Meeting? Would anyone take me seriously if I said “sorry but my legs seem to be on fire”. I had restless legs both in the Board Room and the Bedroom not a symptom I would ever had connected with my menopause.
WHAT CAUSES OUR TINGLING EXTREMITIES
When oestrogen levels fluctuate it, has a complex effect on the central nervous system. Messages between the nervous system and parts of the body can be misinterpreted. This can then result in a prickly feeling under the skin.
Falling oestrogen levels also affect collagen production. This causes the skin to thin and reduce blood flow to nerves in the extremities. For some, static electric shock may be a forerunner to a hot flush and can occur at any moment.
HOW TO MANAGE TINGLING EXTREMITIES
Using my My MidLife Resilience System© will help you regain control over your health. Above all, it will give you the tools to feel empowered as we move through our PeriMenopause and Menopause transition.
- Food – Eat regular, healthy balanced meals of fresh fruit and vegetables, include lean protein, Omega 3 fatty acids and fibre filled wholegrains. This ensures you get the right vitamins and nutrients that support the nervous system and improve circulation
- Vitamin B12 – A deficiency is a common cause of tingling extremities, as are low levels of other B vitamins.
- Potassium – This is vital for nerve function and low levels can cause tingling or numbness in the body
- Calcium – Important to eat foods containing calcium as a deficiency can lead to burning and tingling sensations within the body
- Water – Drink at least 2 litres a day, to keep our bodies hydrated
- Sleep – Ensure you have a good sleeping position to help relieve pins and needles, as bad positions can press on the nerves. It’s also important you get 7 to 8hrs of sleep a night to help your body repair and feel refreshed
- Calm – Reducing stress is key in treating tingling extremities as prolonged high levels of cortisol can create muscle tension, causing pins and needles
- Move – Daily exercise has a very positive affect on tingling and numbness as it promotes blood circulation. Massages are also a great way to get the blood moving too
- Hot Compresses – Using heat on the body is an effective way to increase blood flow. It can provide immediate relief from tingling in the hands and feet. Use a hot water bottle and place on the feet or hold in your hands to help reduce the tingling sensation
TINGLING EXTREMITIES SUMMARY
When oestrogen levels fluctuate, it has a complex effect on the central nervous system, producing symptoms like pins and needles and numbness.
As women enter their 40s, they are more prone to experiencing tingling sensations, which can last from a few seconds to as long as several minutes.
Use My MidLife Resilience Coaching Boost© below to help manage Tingling Sensations to Keep Yourself in Business Through your Hormonal Changes…
KEEPING WOMEN IN BUSINESS…
Are you a Business Woman who wants to manage Tingling Extremities before they impact you? Or are you struggling with Tingling Extremities today and don’t know where to start to manage them?
Then book a 45 minute Complimentary Consultation which includes My MidLife Resilience Assessment© to help you understand the impact of your hormonal changes. Then together we create a plan for you to manage your menopause, building a Strong Body to “Keep You in Business Through Your Hormonal Changes“…
© Women’s Fearless Coaching Ltd All rights Reserved