Muscle Loss & Our Hormonal Changes
Muscle loss or Sarcopenia (the medical term) is one of the least well known symptoms of our PeriMenopause and Menopause Transition.
Did you know – From the age of 39, we lose 1/5 lb. of muscle every 12 months. This increases to 1lb. every 12 months from the age of 50!
Although seldom discussed it has serious consequences if not managed. As we lose our Muscular System our overall structure including our bones and joints become weaker and smaller.
Therefore this leaves us vulnerable to weight increase, injury and when combined with Osteoporosis (read my blog for more detail) it can lead to broken bones including hip fractures and potential hospitalisation.
Did you know – That 1 in 2 women and 1 in 5 men suffer bone fractures due to falls!
MY MUSCLE LOSS STORY
I had an undiagnosed menopause at 40 and as a consequence I was not aware of the impact on my muscles, bones and joints. So overtime I felt an overall ache in my body. But this was not an ache from being in the gym or after a long run but a deep dull ache. The ache around my hips was constant and as I completed each half marathon it just got worse.
Sitting in business meetings became unbearable resulting in me pacing the boardroom apologising for fidgeting. One particular Sunday run become really painful, enough to push me to seek medical advice.
Not quite the diagnosis I could ever have imagined. I was told that my hip joints were close to crumbling combined with muscle loss on my legs and bum. So I was in surgery the following weekend and there started my two year period on crutches. At age 44 I understood the impact of Muscle Loss and Osteoporosis first hand…
WHAT CAUSES MUSCLE LOSS
The increased rate of our muscle loss is impacted by our oestrogen decline along with the ageing process as we transition from PeriMenopause to PostMenopause.
Other factors including our lifestyle and nutrition play a key role in the correct functioning of our Endocrine System. Our Endocrine System and hormones ensure that our metabolism is functioning accurately.
Therefore our lifestyle and nutrition choices will have an impact on our muscle loss. With a poor functioning Endocrine System our body will not have the nutrients it needs to function and repair itself.
HOW TO MANAGE MUSCLE LOSS
Using my MidLife Resilience System will help you manage your muscle loss. With the focus on Food, Movement and Sleep so we Feel Stronger as we transition through our PeriMenopause and Menopause.
- Meals – Eat meals that include whole-foods, fruits, vegetables, complex carbohydrates, high-quality protein, dairy/alternative products, phytoestrogens and healthy fats, such as omega-3 fatty acids.
- Protein – Eat with every meal as it is key for muscle building and body repair. Consider a protein supplement to ensure you eat the required amount.
- Hydrate – Drink at least 2 litres of water or herbal teas to keep hydrated as we are 60% water and our body systems need it to function properly.
- Magnesium & Potassium– Both are important for regulating muscle contraction. A deficiency can cause muscle tension to build up.
- Movement – My infamous “4 S’s“©
- Strength Training to build lean muscle tissue, bone density and joint structure.
- Steps to build cardio health, leg strength and keep all our systems functioning.
- Stretching to keep our joints supple, muscles flexible and maintain stability.
- Shimmy to “fire up” our systems and release those “happy” hormones.
- Sleep – It’s important to get good quality and quantity of sleep. Ensure you get 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night. This will enable your body to repair itself which includes building muscle.
- Calm – We devote our energy to what’s going on around us, including family, friends, work and the wider world. Therefore it’s important to take time-out to reflect and reconnect with ourselves with a calming activity.
MUSCLE LOSS SUMMARY
Muscle loss or Sarcopenia is one of the least well known symptoms of our PeriMenopause and Menopause Transition.
From the age of 39, we lose 1/5 lb. of muscle every 12 months. This increases to 1lb. every 12 months from the age of 50!
Use my MidLife Resilience Coaching Boost below or Watch my Video to help manage muscle loss, with the focus on Food, Movement and Self-Care so you Feel Stronger.
KEEPING WOMEN IN BUSINESS…
Are you a Woman in Business who wants to learn how to manage Muscle Loss, before it impacts You, Your Family and Your Business?
Do you want to understand how your hormones decline and fluctuate through PeriMenopause, Menopause and PostMenopause, impacting your Body, Mind, Relationships and Business…
Then book a 45 minute Complimentary Consultation which includes My MidLife Resilience Assessment to help you understand the impact of your hormonal changes and what you can positively do to manage the consequences to “Keep Yourself in Business Through Your Hormonal Changes“…