Hair Loss and Our Hormonal Changes
For most of us, our hair is our crowning glory; we cut it, style it, colour it and choose how to wear it. It is an expression of ourselves, our personality and our image. While most people are aware that a lot of men lose their hair as they get older – Women are impacted too!
Did you know that it is normal to lose 50 – 100 hairs each day and these are constantly being regenerated by hair follicles. However, for women in the PeriMenopause and Menopause transition, it is possible for a much greater loss of hair to occur.
For Business Women suffering with hair loss, it can be extremely challenging and embarrassing. The loss of our hair can make us feel less feminine, less in control and it can affect our self-esteem and 51% of women have reported that they take time away from their business or career due to PeriMenopausal and Menopausal symptoms.
MY HAIR LOSS STORY
How much hair was there stuck in my hair brush! My hoover started to screech across my bedroom floor as it picked up my hair! Could I ever wear black without looking like I had just molted!
I never considered that my menopause could act as an accelerator for hair loss, leaving it looking thin and lifeless. As a consequence I felt very self conscious and developed solutions to help as part of my MidLife Resilience System.
WHAT CAUSES HAIR LOSS
Research suggests that hair loss during PeriMenopause and Menopause is the result of our hormonal decline and fluctuations. Specifically, it’s related to a lowered production of oestrogen and progesterone. These hormones help our hair grow faster and stay on the head for longer periods of time. When the levels of oestrogen and progesterone drop, hair grows more slowly and becomes much thinner.
A decrease in these hormones also triggers an increase in the production of androgens, or a group of male hormones. Androgens shrink hair follicles, resulting in hair loss on the head. In some cases, however, these hormones can cause more hair to grow on the face. This is why some menopausal women develop facial “peach fuzz” and small sprouts of hair on the chin.
HOW TO MANAGE HAIR LOSS
Before you think you are never going out again, here are some things you can do to give your hair what it needs to restore its beautiful shine using My MidLife Resilience System©.
- Food – Eat meals that include whole-foods, fruits, vegetables, wheat-free complex carbohydrates, high-quality protein, dairy/alternative products, phytoestrogens and healthy fats, such as omega-3 fatty acids.
- Iron – This is crucial for healthy hair as a deficiency can be an underlying cause of hair loss.
- Vitamin C – Intake has also been found to be important in women whose hair loss is due to iron deficiency.
- Vitamin D – Helps to stimulate and thicken hair follicles.
- Folic Acid and Vitamin B6 – Can help restore hair growth.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids – Play a crucial role in maintaining hair health.
- Heat – Limit exposure to heat and damaging styling techniques, like blow drying and straightening. Both can weaken hair and cause early hair loss.
- Wash – Don’t wash hair too often as this can rid our hair and scalp of the natural oils needed to maintain healthy hair.
- Products – It is important to use a good shampoo and conditioner, alongside an additional hair mask. I add a few drops of rosemary oil to strengthen and maintain shiny, healthy hair.
- Calm – Reduce stress levels, as high stress can stunt hair growth. Therefore it’s important to take time-out to reflect and reconnect with ourselves with a calming activity.
HAIR LOSS SUMMARY
Hair Loss during PeriMenopause and Menopause is the result of our hormonal decline and fluctuations. When the levels of oestrogen and progesterone drop, hair grows more slowly and becomes much thinner.
It is normal to lose 50 – 100 hairs each day and these are constantly being regenerated by hair follicles. However, for women in the PeriMenopause and Menopause transition, it is possible for a much greater loss of hair to occur.
Use My MidLife Resilience Coaching Boost©. below or watch my Video to help manage Hair Loss to Keep Yourself in Business Through your Hormonal Changes…
KEEPING WOMEN IN BUSINESS…
Are you a Business Woman who wants to manage Hair Loss before it impacts you? Or are you struggling with Hair Loss today and don’t know where to start to manage it?
Then book a 45 minute Complimentary Consultation which includes My MidLife Resilience Assessment© to help you understand the impact of your hormonal changes. Then together we create a plan for you to manage your menopause, building a Strong Body to “Keep You in Business Through Your Hormonal Changes“…
© Women’s Fearless Coaching Ltd All rights Reserved