Headaches and Our Hormonal Changes
We all get headaches from time to time. The trouble with our delightful hormones is that when they fluctuate in PeriMenopause and Menopause headaches and their severity can increase.
Did you know that women experience headaches five times as often as men. Some studies suggest that menopause makes headaches and migraines worse for up to 45% of women, 30-45% do not notice a difference and 15% notice an improvement.
A mild headache can be cleared up with paracetamol but a severe headache or a migraine ruins your day. In the business world as a busy executive this is something that can be disaster, with 51% of women having reported that they take time away from their business or career due to PeriMenopausal and Menopausal symptoms.
MY HEADACHE STORY
The hangover headache without the alcohol seemed to be a regular occurrence as I woke each morning going through menopause. To make matters worse not only did I suffer with brain fog in business meetings, the stress of trying to remember what I was going to say would bring on regular migraines…
For me headaches was a constant through both PeriMenopause and Menopause…
WHAT CAUSES OUR HEADACHES
As we enter PeriMenopause, our oestrogen and progesterone levels fluctuate. The imbalance of oestrogen is known to affect the brain in various ways, including the onset of headaches.
Our headaches can be caused either by declining or elevated oestrogen levels. It is this dramatically fluctuating oestrogen levels just before menopause that can cause both types of these headaches.
Our hormones, such as oestrogen and progesterone, do have an impact on our brain and its blood vessels. Oestrogen causes the blood vessels to dilate, while progesterone causes them to constrict. As the hormones fluctuate, the blood vessels are forced to expand and contract and this can then result in the pain we feel in our head.
HOW TO MANAGE HEADACHES
Using my My MidLife Resilience System© will help you regain control over your health. Above all, it will give you the tools to feel empowered as we move through our PeriMenopause and Menopause transition.
- Meals – Eat regular, healthy balanced meals and snacks every three to four hours to stay alert and prevent headaches. Do not skip meals as this causes blood sugar levels to drop sharply, which can cause migraines.
- Hydrate – Drink at least 2 litres a day, ours brains need it to function, clear “brain fog”, reduce headaches and fatigue.
- Omega-3 fatty acids – Eating foods, rich in this, like salmon can help prevent cortisol and adrenaline levels from spiking.
- Magnesium – This is an important mineral for brain health & can be found in peas, spinach, avocado & raspberries. A deficiency can lead to migraines.
- Vitamin B2 – Has shown to improve migraine symptoms and reduce the frequency of its attacks. This can be found in eggs, mushrooms & asparagus.
- Triggers – Avoid processed foods, monosodium glutamate, sugar, caffeine & alcohol, as they can all trigger headaches & migraines. Keep a food journal to identify potential triggers and remove from your diet.
- Sleep – Inadequate sleep can make the body susceptible to headaches & migraines, so it’s important to get good quality sleep. Ensure you get 7 to 8hrs of sleep a night to help your body repair and feel refreshed.
- Calm – Excessive stress is one of the most common migraine causes. Stress allows tension to build up, so take time to reduce stress and create time for yourself to feel more grounded. Try meditation, read a book or yoga.
- Move – Regular exercise triggers the release of pain-relieving endorphins, which helps to lower the severity and frequency of headaches.
- Compresses – Applying these to the head or temple can relief the symptoms of headaches quickly. Use cold compresses for migraines and warm compresses for tension headaches.
Our hormones, such as oestrogen and progesterone, do have an impact on our brain and its blood vessels. The imbalance of oestrogen is known to affect the brain in various ways, including the onset of headaches.
Some studies suggest that the menopause makes headaches and migraines worse for up to 45% of women.
Use My MidLife Resilience Coaching Boost© below to help manage Headaches to Keep Yourself in Business Through your Hormonal Changes…
KEEPING WOMEN IN BUSINESS…
Are you a Business Woman who wants to manage Headaches before they impact you? Or are you struggling with Headaches today and don’t know where to start to manage them?
Then book a 45 minute Complimentary Consultation which includes My MidLife Resilience Assessment© to help you understand the impact of your hormonal changes. Then together we create a plan for you to manage your menopause, building a Strong Body to “Keep You in Business Through Your Hormonal Changes“…
© Women’s Fearless Coaching Ltd All rights Reserved