How to Manage Menopause Digestive Problems as a Business Woman
Managing digestion problems as a Business Woman is uncomfortable and frustrating. As our hormones start to decline and fluctuate we are likely to start experiencing digestive problems including bloating, cramping, wind, constipation and diarrhoea. Another daily challenge we can do without as we manage our families and business or careers!
The impact of digestion problems, in addition to the other 39 changes can be particularly challenging. With 51% of Women take time off from their business or career due to their symptoms. Then unnecessarily 32% of Women sell their business or leave their career as the impact of their symptoms become too much to manage along with everything else.
MY DIGESTION STORY – THE BUSINESS WOMAN’S MENOPAUSE!
How could the food I have eaten most of my life suddenly make me feel bloated? It felt like my digestive system was working overtime after every meal making me feel very uncomfortable.
I really struggled with digestive and bloating issues, with them lasting for days. Even to the point that all my clothes felt tight, making me miserable and self conscious. I even had different business outfits for when I was bloated, to stop the waistband from cutting into me wait making me feel uncomfortable.
WHAT CAUSES OUR DIGESTION PROBLEMS?
The hormone oestrogen has a direct impact on the hormone cortisol, also known as the stress hormone. When the level of oestrogen is high, cortisol is low, keeping your blood sugar and pressure at the appropriate reading. As you go through the menopause, the level of oestrogen in your body decreases, meaning that cortisol is not kept in check.
Adrenalin can easily be triggered in the body when the calming influence of oestrogen is missing, switching our digestive function off. When the digestive system is not working at its optimum level, a range of digestive problems can arise. Gas can build up, causing bloating; food can pass through without being fully broken down, causing constipation; acid can break down the mucous lining of the stomach wall, causing abdominal pain or indigestion.
Your digestive system is one of the most sensitive systems in your body. It is often the first thing to get disrupted due to any major changes to your body. Changes to hormones are another major body change that can lead to stomach upsets such as bloating, indigestion, constipation, diarrhoea and cramps.
Low oestrogen affects the production and flow of bile in the liver. If you are not producing enough bile, then your digestive system will have a problem breaking down fats. The other main function of bile is that it controls Peristalsis. Peristalsis is how our digestive tract pushes digested food all the way through to the bowel.
If you’re not producing enough bile, the transit time and digestion is going to take a lot longer. Instead of taking maybe 24 hours, it may take 36 or even 48 hours from when you’ve eaten the meal until you’re actually ready to empty your bowels. This then results in bloating, cramping, wind, sluggish bowels and it can cause constipation.
MANAGE DIGESTIVE PROBLEMS WITH THE BUSINESS WOMAN’S COACHING BOOST
So use The Menopause Resilience System™ solutions below to help manage your Digestive Problem both in your personal and professional life:
- Timing – Chew your food slowly. Do not leave more than 4 hours between meals to manage your blood sugar levels to limit the release of stress hormones. No less than 3 hours between meals to allow your digestive system to time to absorb the nutrients.
- Food – Have a balanced meal plan including protein, healthy fats, vegetables, fruit and complex carbohydrates. Include sauerkraut, kimchi, chia seeds and kombucha. Keep a diary or consider an intolerance test to identify any triggers.
- Water – Keep hydrated and drink at least 2 litres a day. This will help the food pass through the digestive system smoothly.
- Probiotics & Prebiotics – To ensure that you have the right balance to keep your gut healthy as abnormal levels can lead to digestive problems.
- Fibre – To cleanse the colon, encourage regular bowel movements and help move food through the digestive system.
- Calm – Manage your stress levels as the digestive system is very sensitive to the stress hormones which can trigger digestive problems.
- Move – Exercise is required to get your system moving including the digestive system which will help with digestive problems.
KEEPING WOMEN IN BUSINESS
Are the 40 Changes Over 40 impacting you both personally and professionally? Not sure, then complete The Menopause Resilience Assessment™ using this to link to find out.
If you want to have discussion about your PeriMenopause or Menopause then book your Discovery Consultation using this link. The session includes The Menopause Resilience Assessment™, then based on the results and our discussion you receive your Menopause Resilience Prescription™ to help you build a strong body to manage your menopause and beyond.
Adelle Martin – Accredited Menopause Coach & Personal Trainer | Founder of The Menopause Resilience System™
Reference The Menopause Resilience System™ with Women’s Fearless Coaching Ltd All Rights Reserved © Disclaimer: Women’s Fearless Coaching does not provide medical advice and is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Never ignore professional medical advice because of something you have read on the website.