Bad Breath and Our Hormonal Changes
Bad breath is linked to gum problems and burning mouth. These symptoms are a result of women going through their Peri|Menopausal journey. The consequence is that women feel embarrassed by what seems to be uncontrollable odours.
For Women in Business, suffering with bad breath can be extremely frustrating and embarrassing. The impact of bad breath, plus the compound effect of the other 39 changes can be challenging, with 51% of women reporting they take time away from their business or career due to perimenopausal and menopausal symptoms.
MY BAD BREATH STORY
I shared my blog previously on Burning Mouth and how I still suffer with a metallic taste in my mouth. The consequence for me is feeling self conscious when speaking to people especially in Business or Networking Meetings. I now know it is part of our PeriMenopause-Menopause-Post Menopause Transition.
WHAT CAUSES BAD BREATH?
Our body is going through many biological and endocrinological changes during Peri|Menopause . The decline and fluctuation in our hormone levels can disrupt the balance of our oral health. Putting us at a greater risk of tooth decay, gum disease and bad breath.
Most of us women don’t realise there are actually oestrogen receptors in the mucous membranes of our mouth. Our hormones have a strong influence on our oral cavity.
Therefore hormonal fluctuations can also impact our saliva production which can cause a dry mouth. This is not great for oral health, as our mouth needs saliva to cleanse it and rid it of any bacteria. If bacteria and plaque are allowed to build up in our mouth, it can lead to bad breath.
Having inadequate amounts of saliva can also contribute to gum disease and tooth decay. Saliva contains an enzyme called amylase, which helps break down starches. Not having enough can affect the way the nutrients in our food are broken down.
Therefore as our hormones start to decline and fluctuate it is a good time to pay attention to oral health.
HOW TO MANAGE BAD BREATH
Suffering from bad breath can be an embarrassing and frustrating experience, especially if our day is full of business meetings and “talking” commitments.
Using my MidLife Resilience System will help us to minimise the occurrence of bad breath as we move through our Peri|Menopause transition. The key elements used are food and self-care.
- Hydrate – Drink water throughout the day to avoid dehydration, leading to a dry mouth. Include drinking Green Tea as it can also help to fight bad mouth bacteria.
- Chew – Chewing sugar free gum and crunchy vegetables, including apples, pears, carrots and celery can help to stimulate saliva flow.
- Sugar & Alcohol – Limit intake as bacteria can feed on both, causing bad breath.
- Food Triggers – Odours from garlic, onion and spicy food go straight to your blood stream and lungs. So when exhaled they comes across as bad breath. Try apples as they can help neutralise the bad-breath odours caused by raw garlic.
As you look after the rest of your body with exercise and healthy eating, it’s important to remember your mouth needs a healthy care regime of its own:
- Oral Hygiene – Maintain a good oral routine, with brushing and flossing at least twice a day. Use a good natural toothpaste and rinse with mouthwash to keep breath fresh.
- Dental Check Ups – Have regular check ups including the hygienist as they can offer you the right advice and treatment to eliminate any problems.
- Calm – Reduce stress to boost immunity and improve oral health.
- Sleep – Get good quality sleep to help your body repair and refresh.
BAD BREATH SUMMARY
The decline and fluctuation in our hormone levels can disrupt the balance of our oral health. Putting us at a greater risk of tooth decay, gum disease and bad breath.
Use my MidLife Resilience Coaching Boost below or watch my video to help manage bad breath, with the focus on Food, Movement and Self-Care so you Feel Stronger.
KEEPING WOMEN IN BUSINESS…
Are you a Woman in Business who wants to manage your bad breath before it impacts You, Your Family and Your Business?
Do you want to know more about the “40 Changes To Accept Over 40″ that happen as you transition through PeriMenopause and Menopause?
Therefore you have three choices to learn more about My Mission of Keeping Women In Business through their Hormonal Changes & Business Growth:
- Register to join my next “Manage Your Peri|Menopause to Stay Productive In Your Business” Live Workshop and experience Group “Body & Business” Coaching with solutions from my MidLife Resilience System…
- Book a Complimentary Consultation with me including your own MidLife Resilience Assessment to complete ahead of our Coaching Session at a time that suits you…
- Or register to join The Women in Business MidLife Club with four membership options, your Club Welcome Session & MidLife Resilience Review, The Women in Business MidLife Club on a Private Intranet Site & Smart Phone App, Coaching Sessions via video to agree Coaching Plans and be part of an Inspiring Community of Women In Business…