Joint Pain and Our Hormonal Changes
Are you a Women in Business over 40? Yes – then during this period you may find symptoms of the perimenopause or menopause hitting you at various stages. Not feeling quite yourself is normal and aching joints are one of those symptoms.
Did you know that women are 10 times more likely to suffer from joint pain in their hands than men.
For Women in Business, suffering with joint pain can be extremely challenging. Particularly when connected with the other 39 changes, with 51% of women reporting they take time away from their business or career due to PeriMenopausal and Menopausal symptoms.
MY JOINT PAIN STORY
I had an undiagnosed menopause at 40 and as a consequence I was not aware of the impact on my muscles, bones and joints. So overtime I felt an overall ache in my body. But this was not an ache from being in the gym or after a long run but a deep dull ache. The ache around my hips was constant and as I completed each half marathon it just got worse.
Sitting in business meetings became unbearable resulting in me pacing the boardroom apologising for fidgeting. One particular Sunday run become really painful, enough to push me to seek medical advice.
Not quite the diagnosis I could ever have imagined. I was told that my hip joints were close to crumbling combined with muscle loss on my legs and bum. So I was in surgery the following weekend and there started my two year period on crutches. At age 44 I understood the impact of Joint Pain first hand…
WHAT CAUSES JOINT PAIN?
Not all joint pain may signal arthritis. The perimenopause and menopause is a common time for women to develop musculoskeletal symptoms.
The super female hormone oestrogen plays an important part in controlling inflammation. As oestrogen declines pain in our joints can vary from a dull ache to an intense pain.
Knees, shoulders, elbows, neck or hands might be affected and joints that used to feel ok are susceptible to ache more. Even gaining just a few extra pounds can impact our joints read my previous blog.
HOW TO MANAGE JOINT PAIN
MidLife-Movement – My infamous “Four S’s”
- Strength Training – To build lean muscle tissue as the priority. It also helps with bone density and joint structure.
- Steps – To build cardio health, leg strength and keep all our systems functioning.
- Stretching – To keep our joints supple, muscles flexible and maintain stability.
- Shimmy – To “fire up” our systems and release those “happy” hormones.
- Meals – Eat meals that include whole-foods, fruits, vegetables, wheat free complex carbohydrates, high-quality protein, dairy/alternative products, phytoestrogens and healthy fats, such as omega-3 fatty acids.
- Protein – Eat with every meal as it is key for muscle building and body repair. Consider a protein supplement to ensure you eat the required amount.
- Omega-3 fatty acids – Are beneficial for reducing joint inflammation and pain.
- Hydrate – Drink at least 2 litres a day to ensure our body systems are functioning fully.
- Vitamin K – Plays an important role in bone and cartilage mineralization. Proper levels may aid in joint pain treatment.
- Vitamin D deficiency – Can produce pain in the joints and muscles of the upper or lower extremities and hips.
JOINT PAIN SUMMARY
Women are 10 times more likely to suffer from joint pain in their hands than men.
The super female hormone oestrogen plays an important part in controlling inflammation.
Use my MidLife Resilience Coaching Boost below or Watch my Video to help manage joint pain, with the focus on Food, Movement and Self-Care so you Feel Stronger.
KEEPING WOMEN IN BUSINESS…
Are you a Woman in Business who wants to manage your joint pain before they impact You, Your Family and Your Business?
Do you want to know more about the “40 Changes To Accept Over 40″ that happen as you transition through PeriMenopause and Menopause?
Therefore you have three choices to learn more about My Mission of Keeping Women In Business through Change & Growth:
- Register to join my next “Manage Your Peri|Menopause to Stay In Business” Live Workshop and experience Group “Body & Business” Coaching with solutions from my MidLife Resilience System…
- Book a Complimentary Consultation with me including your own MidLife Resilience Assessment to complete ahead of our Coaching Session at a time that suits you…
- Or register to join The Women in Business MidLife Club with four membership options, your Club Welcome Session & MidLife Resilience Review, The Women in Business MidLife Club on a Private Intranet Site & Smart Phone App , Coaching Sessions via video to agree Coaching Plans and be part of an Inspiring Community of Women In Business…